What is glampacking?
Generally glampacking is traveling with a backpack in a glamor stylish way and with a more generous budget.
NYC JFK > Lisbon (Transit in Madrid) > Adelboden > Zurich > Becej > Belgrade > Milan
Never in a million year would I think of traveling with only a backpack and a carry-on to Europe as I always overpack. I booked all the accommodations without thinking of the accessibility (most of the apartment buildings in Europe are without an elevator,) and this time we also stayed at a wellness resort in Switzerland that required us to switch trains and take a bus in order to get there by public transportation. Since we would be staying in an apartment in Lisbon and Milan, and also be using public transportation in Switzerland, I thought it would be easier for us to travel with a backpack (we checked-in our backpacks) and a carry-on each (we had our heels and handbags in here,) which worked out wonderfully. Backpacking trips can actually be stylish and chic!
Gear & essentials:
- Montbell: Cha Cha Pack 45L (I carried 10-15 kg without any problem… check out my what to pack post)
- Sea To Summit: Preimum stretch knit sleeping bag liner (for my stay at apartments)
- Sea To Summit: Aeros ultralight pillow – regular (hygienic!)
- Muji: Garment mesh bags (perfect for packing and categorizing your stuff in your backpack)
- Lightweight quick-dry cotton towel (this is a must)
- Silicon foldable water bottle (can’t live without my bottle while traveling)
- Organic oatmeal bars (in case you wake up super early and feeling hungry due to jet lag)
- Small umbrella or hat (it rained while we were in Milan and my hat came handy)
- Travel adapter
- Lifetrons: Portable luggage scale (stay within checked baggage weight limit, though it’s hard to go overweight when using a backpack.)
- Bring clothes and shoes that are versatile: neutral colors, white shirts, black pants etc.
- Bring different lip color to switch up your looks.
- Little black dress + low or mid heels are major musts if you are planning to go to places with a dress code, fine-dining restaurants, night out.
- Always bring an extra foldable bag in case you decide to store some stuff at the airport locker or the baggage storage service. We actually left our carry-on luggage at the storage service in Zurich airport before heading to our hotel in the Alps.
- Definitely use a cross-body handbag, so much easier while walking with your backpack and your carry-on luggage.
- Check the weather before you go so you know what to pack for outfits.